BIG BAD WOLF

BIG BAD WOLF

Monday, September 13, 2010

Recreating Myself

One of the most fascinating things I've ever learned since graduation was the effect of emotions on the brain, and consequently, the body. When we keep falling to the same emotional patterns over and over again, our brains become dependent on the chemicals (the neuropeptides) released with said emotion. Think of it as an addiction: the brain, desiring more of the same peptides, rewires itself and signals every cell in our bodies to divide with the right "keyhole" for the peptides.

If you're someone who's chronically angry, you are constantly releasing that particular peptide into your brain and into your body. Your cells, when they divide, develop receptors for this peptide to the exclusion of other peptides. This has been shown to affect our bodies in a myriad of ways, from affecting the elasticity of our skin to the brittleness of our bones as we age. In fact, it's theorized that chronically angry, bitter or fearful people show signs of aging faster than people who are generally happy and feel a sense of well-being.

Keep in mind that every few years (most scientists say every seven years) your body is completely brand new. You do not have the body you had seven years ago; your cells have divided, grown, and died off.

So this begs the question: what are we becoming, every day, down to our most diminutive points? I've found myself asking this question a lot, especially as I am on the advent of dieting for the umpteenth time in my life. I am much more aware now of my body; more specifically, I'm more aware of how I feel about myself affects my body.

I've struggled to lose weight for so long, I almost gave up entirely on it. I decided I'd let the weight grow, maybe find some chubby-chaser on the internet through Craig's List to spend my days with.

Except I really didn't want that to be my life. So, for the past month, I've combined affirmations, meditations and practical weight-loss steps (like stairs instead of elevators, etc.) to create a different kind of weight-loss regime.

See, I've come to think of this as recreating myself: rebuilding my spirit, my heart, my soul and my body. The new science tells us we're all entangled with each other; I believe our hearts, minds and bodies are entangled as well. My body must be in sync with my mind and my heart.

That means I must be healthy on all levels.

This is day 2 of my new discipline, and every day I'll let you know how it's going. I'll be totally honest, and hopefully after a while I'll be able to track my journey on this path.

Brightest blessings,

E

No comments:

Post a Comment